These days, most of us are trying to be more eco-concious. Whether it’s recycling paper or conserving water we have tried to find small ways to decrease our impact on the planet, and we want our houses to do the same.
If you have been shopping for green homes in Dallas you have probably noticed a dramatic increase in energy-efficient options over the last couple years. Customers buying new homes in Dallas, and across the country, are becoming more environmentally savvy, and builders are making an effort to keep up with the times, creating both traditional and custom homes Dallas residents can be confident are energy-efficient and environmentally sound. So what features should you be looking for when shopping for your next energy-efficient home?
- Look for Energy Star Compliance. Appliances, light fixtures and other electronic devices should be Energy Star compliant, and so should the building materials.
- HVAC Systems. A non-ozone depleting HVAC system is good for the environment, your family, and your budget. A good HVAC system will be 16 SEER or higher.
- Superior Insulation. Green homes must be insulated in a way that keeps them warm in the winter and cool in the summer. R-22 wall insulation(R-19 Batts with R-3 Sheathing) does just that, and R-38 blown fiberglass insulation fills in the gaps and insulates the attic.
- Radiant Barrier Roof Decking . A radiant barrier roof can deflect up to ninety-seven percent of the sun’s rays, lowering attic temperatures by about thirty degrees.
- Energy-Efficient Windows. Super efficient, low-E, double paned, insulated vinyl windows are a must for green homes, because they use improved frames and protective coatings to reduce air infiltration and radiant heat flow. Windows should let in light, not heat.
- Tankless Water Heater. Tankless hot water heaters can save you up to forty percent on your energy costs, while providing you with exactly as much hot water as you need, reducing wasted energy used when heating large amounts of water.
- Digital Programmable Thermostats. Save money with the touch of a button by setting your thermostat based on your heating and cooling needs. You can save over thirty percent on your utility bills.
When it comes to custom homes, Grand Homes is a company with a longstanding reputation for excellence. With over twenty-five years of experience building new homes in Dallas-Fort Worth, Grand Homes is well versed in how to build energy efficient, eco-conscious homes. Contact us today so we can help you achieve your green home!